The Story so far…
A few years ago, I found myself writing my first PHP projects using metapad. When I was looking around for text editors with syntax highlighting, I have come across the Scintilla source code editing component. I was very much impressed by this project, so I decided to create my own Scintilla-based text editor.
The result is Notepad2, a fast and light-weight Notepad-like text editor with syntax highlighting. This program can be run out of the box without installation, and does not touch your system’s registry.
- Download Notepad2 4.2.25 Program Files (x86) [305 KB]
- Download Notepad2 4.2.25 Program Files (x64) [371 KB]
- Download Notepad2 4.2.25 Setup (x86) [292 KB]
- Download Notepad2 4.2.25 Setup (x64) [351 KB]
- Download Notepad2 4.2.25 Source Code [217 KB]
- Notepad2.txt – Readme File (details the change log).
- MailingList.txt – Mailing list archive (with release notes).
- Notepad2 FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions.
- Notepad2 – Encoding Tutorial.
- Notepad2 – Replacing Windows Notepad.
- Converting to a native Win32 Unicode application.
Modified Versions of Notepad2
- Notepad2 x64 Notepad2 build for 64-bit platforms – current releases.
- Notepad2 with code folding (original) – based on Notepad2 4.0.22-beta5.
- Notepad2 with code folding, bookmarks and more (updated) – current releases.
- Notepad2 with code folding and other extensions (updated) – current releases.
- Notepad2 Bookmark Edition – based on Notepad2 4.1.24.
- NotepadCrypt – Notepad2 2.0.15 with file encryption features.
- Notepad2 MOD – SourceForge project based on Notepad2.
- Notepad2 with Lua syntax highlighting – based on Notepad2 1.0.12.
- Notepad2 with NSIS syntax highlighting – based on Notepad2 4.1.24.
- Notepad2 with Ruby syntax highlighting – based on Notepad2 2.0.15.
- Scintilla – the source code editing component used by Notepad2.
- Programmer’s Notepad – open source, scriptable, multiple document Scintilla-based editor.
- Notepad++ – open source, multiple document Scintilla-based editor with many plugins.